Pages

Wednesday 22 February 2012

"This conversation is older than my children"

"This conversation is older than my children" said a colleague from 15 yrs ago when we met recently.

Did I laugh - oh boy did I laugh. Although you know we often laugh when things have landed and have real meaning for us. It was true - the statement I mean. I had just given an excuse for not doing something that I'd been using since I first met him about the time this picture was taken.

The interesting thing is of course the story I was telling myself wasn't true - they very rarely are. You know the type of story:

  • I can't do that

  • It wont work

  • I'll only fail

  • etc etc


  • Having the 'story' held up for what it was stopped me in my tracks. It now acts as a great reminder ever time I try to retell the story that the only person who believes it is me. Since it's not helping me achieve what I want in life I have a choice keep it and keep getting what I've always got or ditch it and see what happens.

    Will you join me in ditching the stories that no longer support your growth?

    Alison
    Alison Smith
    Ensuring the stories procurement teams tell about themselves are helpful

    No comments: